Thursday, November 5, 2015

It's a Good Day!!!

I didn't write yesterday because I was not having the best day and was trying to do some cleaning. I wasn't very successful, but last night, I vacuumed my front entrance and living room. That's not an easy feat with a canister style Electrolux and a wheelchair. But I did it! I'm so proud of myself. My therapists tell me not to do it due to my MS fatigue, but being forced into retirement at 42 means I can get awfully bored! People who know me would know that I'm really, really bored when I get excited about vacuuming!
Today I got up and loaded the dishwasher and made my breakfast! It's an amazing feeling to be able to do some of the things a regular person does! It's been about a year, maybe more, that I couldn't do all of this in one day! And before I went to the hospital, making my own breakfast and loading the dishwasher would have been all I did in a day! I would need a nap and just rest the remainder of the day. Of course, before my relapse I didn't have a wheelchair. I do all my housework in my chair now, so I only do things I can reach in my chair.
I had therapy this afternoon.My friend drove me and had to drop me off early. I decided to kill time by going to the ward and visiting my rehab nurses. It feels so good when they come and give me big hugs! A couple of them rushed over and hugged me and said they were so sorry to hear about the loss of Wes! That's sweet in itself, but the fact that they remembered that he and I are cousins and his visits! It meant a lot to me! I will write more about him another day, because I know that I need to share about how he helped and encouraged me! Then it was time to go to my "torture session" as I affectionately refer to therapy! I told my therapist that my surgery (two weeks ago) had really worn me down and I didn't feel like I could accomplish much. She agreed to just do what I feel up to. I walked 120 meters, with two small breaks. I then did a few leg stretches and that's about it. She said she was really proud of me because she was watching my face and could see the effort it took and I was fighting and working very hard but didn't quit. It made me feel very good that she could tell that I did my best because I certainly have done more work than that in therapy. I'll get back up to my old levels again!
And now the big news!!!!! I got my motor scooter today!!!! I've decided that it's my Harley! I'm a big, bad scooter mama!!!! Tomorrow I'll go out for a ride and see how it feels to go out all on my own for the first time since January 29!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment